Tuesday 14 May 2013

Curds and whoa!

News flash - first attempt at rhubarb curd as failed dismally, I mean it didn't go wrong.  But it tasted too sweet, it was the wrong colour and there was too much scrambled egg at the bottom.

I have made curds before, lemon, and lime - both worked beautifully, the only thing I would say is I could have made them more tart.  I love that sharp mouth watering, mouth pucking feeling you get when eating a small spoonful of lemon or lime curd.  Creamy, buttery, sharp, fresh.... I could go on!  So I got to thinking about what else would work as a curd.  It would need to be full of sharp vitamin c taste, so that opened up a world of grapefruit, passion fruit, even pineapple (but would need to work on that last one a bit, pineapple  can be temperamental.  Not to mention, rhubarb.  That tart, pretty pink and green vegetable that would strike fear into heart of any child at lunchtime.

But we have grown up and our tastes have changed and it's time to give rhubarb a chance.

After a quick Google search I came upon this recipe that didn't call for forced rhubarb (that's the white variety). It was American so would need to convert the measurements otherwise it looked good.

Rhubarb Curd
Makes about 2 cups
8 ounces fresh rhubarb, leaves removed and discarded - I used about 400gs and that made the right amought.
2/3 cup sugar - 125g
4 large eggs - 4 eggs ;)
4 ounces (8 tablespoons) butter, cut into small chunks - 113g

I had already cooked down my 'barb the week before with a small amount of sugar and zest of a large orange (I won't be doing that again as it tasted too orangie).  That's what was left it is a lovely colour (sorry camera was about to die)!

So I added most of the sugar to the mix leaving a little behind (it's easier to add than to take away in cooking and I love a tart curd), cracked in the eggs in to the 'barb and turned the heat on.







Already I'm alarmed, where was that lovely pink colour?  What's happened?!!?

Carry on Noo, just keep whisking.  AHHHH! LUMPS!  My last two curbs never went lumpy.  The recipe said to strain after but a good curd doesn't need straining.. trust me it doesn't.

Well at least it will taste tart and full of rhubarby goodness.....Oh .. my .. god, it's sweeter than a group of 5 year olds with lisps and no front teeth singing "Frosty the Snowman".  This has all gone wrong horribly wrong.





Look at the end result!  The lumps in the sieve, that yellow curd.


Then I see this lovely little line "Depending on the colors of your rhubarb and eggs, your curd might end up a different shade of yellow or rose." - But the picture shows a perfectly pink pot...



Now I am a total cynic, but there is no way it would EVER come out that colour according to this recipe.  I mean what type of eggs did they use?  The ones where the yolk is as pale as the white?!  How pink did they get their rhubarb juice (as pink as mine no doubt).  So what where did I go so wrong?

*Sigh* back to the drawing board, find another recipe to try and use much less sugar, I'm thinking starting with 100g, but only putting 2/3s in to start with.  May be even cook it slightly differently.  But that is for next week.  Right now I'm off to sulk a little, will I be keeping the curd... not sure.





<script type="text/javascript">

  var _gaq = _gaq || [];
  _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-40383525-1']);
  _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'comparethemeatnveg.blogspot.com']);
  _gaq.push(['_setAllowLinker', true]);
  _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);

  (function() {
    var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true;
    ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
    var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
  })();

</script>



No comments:

Post a Comment